Monday, October 8, 2012

Waiter, There's Too Much Pepper...

I can't stand to pay $1 or more per pepper at the grocery store, especially when they're one of the easiest crops to grow. So I planted about 50 this spring then mostly ignored them all summer. My excuse is that I got busy. Too many other things need more TLC. Now, though, at the end of the season, they have demanded that I pay attention. I madly harvested this weekend before a freeze took them all out.  

Just look at my baskets, buckets and boxes full of them!  


I think I've purchased Serrano peppers exactly once from the store, so I'm not sure why I planted seven plants. Next year, it'll be three, tops. Fortunately, my neighbor likes these, so he'll be getting a nice load tomorrow.


Jalapenos are a different story. Much more common in my kind of cooking. Some will freeze, some will be turned into hot pepper jelly. But, again, we've been working on one single jar this entire year so I'll scale back next year.


Marconis. I don't know what the heck to do with these! Anyone? So much for experimenting this season...



Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. How many peppers did Peter Piper pick? Depends on the variety, but roughly 50-70 sweet peppers or 250 japs.

No comments:

Post a Comment